The term "al forno" translates as "to the oven". Majority of baked Pasta dishes can be categorised as al forno. While some pasta shapes such as Penne or Fusilli require a few minutes of boiling before baking, Lasagne sheets can be used raw in the baked dish as the moisture from the sauce cooks it completely.
- 250 grams Penne or Whole Wheat Penne
- 500 gams Tomato Puree
- 200 ml Béchamel sauce
- 250 grams Diced Mozzarella
- 40 grams Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Half an Onion, sliced
- EVOO and salt to taste
- In a frying pan, sauté sliced onions in olive oil. Add the tomato puree, salt to taste and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In the meantime, cook the pasta in salted boiling water for about 3-4 minutes only.
- When the sauce is ready, turn off the heat and add the béchamel sauce, mixing well.
- Drain the half-cooked pasta and add it into the pan with the sauce. Now add the diced mozzarella and the grated cheese, keeping some aside for gratin.
- Transfer the pasta mixture to a greased ovenproof dish and top with mozzarella and grated cheese. Bake at 180° C for about 25 minutes until a brown crust forms.
- Garnish with Basil and Parsley, serve warm!